After more than 2 months without posting weekly links I will try to make up for the loss by summarizing the best things I found on the Internet during that time, all in one post. So here they are, in chronological order:
- Dmitry Itskov, Russian Billionaire, Plans Immortality Research Center: I don’t know how I feel about this.
- Hurricane Balls: Two ball bearings welded together spinning wildly. A very fun toy.
- Researchers take full control of cockroach’s movement, turn it into a wireless sensor: the real cyborgs.
- Physicist Derives Laws of Thermodynamics For Life Itself: Interesting stuff. The original paper is short and accessible, so it’s on my list of future reads.
- Lectures on Emergence and Complexity: I’m not setting any time aside to watch these, but maybe some of you will.
- The Best Way to Find Aliens: Look for Their Solar Power Plants: I agree with this argument and I’m glad someone is finally taking Dyson Spheres seriously.
- Obama’s Secret Weapon In The South: Small, Dead, But Still Kickin’: A story about plancton and politics. A fascinating read.
- Game of Life with floating point operations: beautiful Smoothlife: Beautiful and clever!
- Massive drug control spending has no effect on addiction rate: This is probably the only graph you need to support the argument in favor of ending the war on drugs.